Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Due to privacy concerns I will no longer be posting what days we have been or will be working.

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted but with school being back and all that goes in to getting ready for that I just have been too busy or too tired to blog.

As I thought we weren't lucky enough to escape the rain anymore. We've had rain every day we wanted to work for about three weeks. Sometimes it was heavy, with lighting and thunder, other times it was soft with an hour or two of break in-between. We found that sometimes it can be difficult to be motivated when it's raining, but overall we got some work done and feel like we are still moving in the right direction.

We've closed! Papers signed, last visit to the title company, just waiting for the deed to arrive, but it's all ours!
Our Title Company

Our Closing Documents
For now I have given up cooking in the cast iron pot in the fire. I just can't control the heat, although I am doing research and will try again soon. Thanks to solar panels, a battery, a converter, and the small crockpot I once used in a dorm room, we have real meals after working hard all day trying to bring this property back to life. Olaf of course came up with the idea and had everything planned, I just had to follow through. 
Converter hooked to the Battery 

Solar Panels









Dinner that isn't hot dogs!

My college Crockpot finds new life






I was determined to get all the drywall out of the living room so I went to work one morning while Olaf was in the back cleaning up the shed. I really enjoyed working alone that morning but that may have been because I didn't want to clean out the back shed. It was full of junk but I knew it was something that really needed to be done, but I wasn't ready to tackle that just yet. Thankfully Olaf was just fine doing it on his own and leaving me to take down drywall. As I was removing drywall I finally found the termite damage I was sure would be there at some point. Fortunately the damage wasn't much and Olaf thinks we can replace or repair what we need without much issue. 
Time to get after more drywall!
More 1940's Wallpaper












Wall with the damage
Damage up-close






















One whole room without drywall!
Back shed area with the junk gone
Junk from the back shed















One of the great things about all the rain is that we were able to see that we really needed gutters. Some mornings we would wake up to puddles in the living room which helped to explain why the subfloor was in such terrible condition. This led to a trip to McCoy's building supply and Olaf and I out in the rain installing gutters. 


Gutters going in
Gutters are up!


We work in the rain!



















We have a mailbox!





















A few other things done recently...subfloor in the dining room removed, Olaf rehabbed a wheelbarrow we found on the property (saving us over $100), Olaf planted butternut and acorn squash and it's already started to sprout, we found an old Whataburger, discovered Lacy is a mouser, and Olaf ended a week with a surprise for me!


Subfloor coming out of dining room!
Olaf's rehabbed wheelbarrow! So proud of him!













What-a-burger!


We have squash!











Almost time to go back to Houston for a few days




My Lacy: The Mouser















My surprise from Olaf!